Matthew 13:44

The Kingdom of Heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. Mt 13:44

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Sonlight Academy- Meeting The Alexanders

Sonlight Academy is located in Port-de-Paix, Haiti.  Above is a picture taken before school one morning while the children were saying the pledge.  The school has between 300-350 students from K4-12th grade.  Sonlight teaches the truths of the Bible & encourages the children's Faith in Jesus.  It is also an English-Immersion school.  Haiti's spoken language is Hatian Creole but when children enter K4 everything is taught in English.  All of these children are also taught French.  Yes, they start teaching them in K4!!!! Everyday, ALL students have French class.  I was seriously blown away that ALL of these kids are fluent in 3 languages!!!!  This past week we had the opportunity to meet so many wonderful new friends. We met many, many Fabulous Teachers who's LOVE for Jesus & the Hatian People just made me overflow with JOY!!  I hope to introduce you to a few of these Great Teachers throughout this week. First I would like to share a little about the family that started it all.  Roger & Norma Alexander moved to Haiti in 1983 & started Sonlight in 1986.  You can read all about Sonlight at http://www.sonlightministries.org/, but I want to share what I saw now.....some 28 years after they moved to Haiti.
  We arrived late on a Saturday afternoon & we were immediatly welcomed by both of them.  Mrs. Norma gave hugs & kisses & welcomed us with open arms.  She pulled out a chair on her outside patio & just sat down & got to know us.  I will admit it took me a few days to get use to her hospitality.  I know that sounds weird, after all I am from the south. :D  But I had gone to Haiti on a Mission trip....to help others...to serve where ever needed, NOT be served!!! But this my friends is what Mrs. Norma does BEST!! She had iced tea waiting or fresh coffee Always!!  She made the BEST food.  Her table was set like we were somebody special coming for Sunday Dinner.....Every time!!!  I Loved to sit & visit with her, to hear about the mission, her children growing up & her grandchildren.  I Miss her already!!! I have decided when I grow up....if I ever do..lol....I want to be just like Mammie (sp?)...that's what her grandchildren call her!!  The absolute pure LOVE & Joy of Jesus come from her at all times!!! Please GOD let me serve others & love like that!!  Mr. Alexander was busy working so much of the time.  I really enjoyed the few times I got to visit with him.  Gordon however got to spend a LOT of time working with him this week & he really really enjoyed it.  I often heard them discussing things like politics, life in Haiti, & Family issues......Gordon was loving every minute!!  I will share a few pic of them.  I have been blessed to have just met them!!
Gordon visiting with Mrs. Norma

I thought they said they were working???

Homemade Pizza Anyone???

Gordon & I enjoying Sunday Dinner.

Yes, this is what I was talking about!!!

Mr. Roger playing balloon toss with his grandson Chase.

Waiving Goodbye to our group after fixing a great breakfast at 5am!!!!!  Can't you just see what I am talking about!! Yes......I Miss them both!

No comments:

Post a Comment